While COVID-19 still dominates our health concerns, it is important to keep in mind that other illnesses can be just as dangerous, particularly for older adults. Flu season has begun, and it is time to make sure that the seniors you love are protected.
There are a variety of different flu vaccines for seniors available, these include:
- High-dose vaccines
- Adjuvanted vaccines
- Intradermal vaccines
- Nasal spray vaccines
Typically, adults age 65 and over are encouraged to receive either an adjuvanted or high-dose shot, but check with the physician for his or her recommendation.
If an older loved one is reluctant to receive a flu shot, below are some important tips to help educate them on the benefits of a flu vaccine for seniors:
- The immune system weakens as the body ages, which makes it more difficult to recover from infections.
- Serious complications from the flu tend to be more likely in seniors.
- 85% of flu-related deaths and up to 70% of flu-related hospitalizations occur in those age 65 and older.
- Secondary infections, for example, sinus and ear infections, bronchitis, and even pneumonia can develop from contracting the flu.
In addition to receiving a flu shot, older adults can boost their immunity through:
- Maintaining a healthy and balanced diet which includes foods rich in vitamin C, D, and zinc, in addition to lean proteins and complex carbs.
- Staying physically active with regular exercise each day. Thirty minutes daily is perfect, and can be broken down into smaller portions during the day.
- Keeping the environment sanitized and clean. A HEPA filter can also help with improving indoor air quality.
- Improving sleep habits, striving for 8 hours of sleep every night. Setting a routine at bedtime to include calming activities, limiting TV and technology, and keeping the bedroom dark and cool are all techniques to help.
Keep in mind that following COVID-19 safety guidelines can help with preventing other illnesses as well. Wash hands regularly, practice social distancing, wear a face covering, and avoid large crowds.
Atlanta Home Care Partners’ caregivers are here to help! Let us provide transportation and accompaniment to medical appointments and to receive a flu shot, in addition to our full range of in-home care services. We are also available to prepare nutritious meals, motivate older adults to take part in regular exercise, and much more. Make the first step towards improving overall health for a senior by calling us at (404) 228-0103 or contacting us online to learn more about our family caregiver help in Atlanta, GA and the surrounding areas, or to request a complimentary in-home consultation.