It doesn’t matter if you are trying to tune a guitar, learn a new language, or simply add cats’ ears to a selfie, there’s an app for that! And for older adults who opt to age in place, seniors and technology are the perfect pairing to maximize safety, comfort, and overall quality of life.
Take Amazon’s Alexa, as an example. Whereas its current benefits for older adults are numerous, such as the capacity to track glucose levels, make medical appointments, and research information pertaining to a specific medical condition, it’s actually poised to delve even further within the medical care arena – perhaps even detecting heart attacks and helping physicians obtain precise diagnoses.
Below are some additional technology solutions you might want to consider for a senior you love:
- Home Security: A motion-detecting home security system provides peace of mind related to crime prevention, but often can do a lot more, such as notifying when sensing smoke, broken glass, or temperatures in the house that are too high or low, just to name a few. They are also good for people who have dementia who can be prone to wandering, to alert to a senior’s activities around the home.
- Telehealth: Save a visit to the physician’s office with the use of one of a plethora of apps which allow for remote consultations from board-certified physicians, psychologists, and psychiatrists, some of whom are available 24 hours a day, 7 days per week.
- Fall Prevention: One of several top contributors to senior falls is deficient lighting. Smart lights use motion detection to improve lighting in areas of particular concern, including between the bedroom and bathroom, or on exterior walkways, when set off by a person’s movement.
- Fraud Protection: Senior scammers are persistent and consistently evolving their tactics. Older adults can enhance security through apps that check financial activity and neighborhood crime activity, reduce robocalls, identify any use of a person’s Social Security number, and much more.
- Health Care: multiple medical care needs are able to be met from the comfort of home, including video chats with health professionals to avoid a visit to the office, medication ordering, and medication management to make certain meds are used at the proper times and in the correct doses.
Contact Atlanta Home Care Partners, providers of the best elder care in Roswell, GA and the surrounding area, for even more tips on maximizing life at home for senior loved ones – whether via technology, our professional in-home care assistance, or both! We’re always here to help set up and explain technological options, and to provide you with the tried-and-true, hands-on assistance in the home that enables older adults to live their very best lives.
Reach out to us now at (404) 228-0103 for an in-home consultation and let us know more about how we can help!