For those of us with our eyes on the horizon, anxiously awaiting a cure or a new treatment for Alzheimer’s disease, a glimmer of hope has been detected. In a controversial decision made by the FDA this month, aducanumab has become the first new drug approved by the FDA to treat Alzheimer’s in nearly 20 years.
Well known for using an abundance of caution (as recently seen in the pause in the Johnson and Johnson COVID-19 vaccine), the FDA took a reserved approach to this Alzheimer’s treatment as well. It’s understandable why; in two clinical trials, results were conflicting, with one showing reduced decline in cognition and daily function, and the other showing the exact opposite.
Biogen, the company that developed aducanumab, argues that the results simply reflect the dosage levels of each trial. Those who were given a higher dose of the medication achieved the positive outcome.
Yet it’s not quite that simple to explain the disparity. As the analysis of the data was completed after the trial was over, without an established plan in place prior to the trial, there is the risk of “inadvertently selecting data precisely because those data were consistent with the outcomes that were hoped for,” according to Drs. G. Caleb Alexander, Scott Emerson, and Aaron S. Kesselheim.
At Atlanta Home Care Partners, it is our mission to do all that we can to help those with Alzheimer’s disease live their best possible lives, and we are always here with the resources and care you need. If someone you love is experiencing challenges from dementia, reach out to us. We can visit with you and the senior in the comfort of home and talk through how we can help. Our trained, experienced dementia caregivers are available to:
- Engage the senior in meaningful, enjoyable activities
- Help with memory stimulation
- Share in conversations and reminiscing
- Utilize creative, compassionate techniques to redirect when difficult behaviors occur
- Assist with safe bathing/showering, dressing, hair care, and other personal needs
- Prepare nutritious meals according to any prescribed dietary plan and help with feeding as required
- Take care of household chores such as vacuuming, dusting, and laundry – freeing up family members to enjoy quality time with the senior
- And so much more
Reach out to us online or give us a call us at (404) 228-0103 any time to schedule your free in-home consultation and to allow us to answer any questions you may have about our top-rated Atlanta personal care services and specialized dementia care for seniors. For a full list of all of the communities where we provide care, please visit our Service Area page.