Living far apart makes it hard to visit our aging parents as often as we would wish, but when the holiday season is here, families make it a priority to spend quality time together – making it the perfect opportunity to assess a senior’s safety and wellbeing. There are lots of red flags that can’t be noted in weekly phone conversations, emails, or even through Skype, but which often become noticeable when the family is all together during the holidays.
- Is there a change in the level of cleanliness of the home?
- Do you see a buildup of clutter, like stacks of newspapers and mail?
- Are food items in the fridge and cabinets fresh?
- Do you see scorch or burn spots on pots/pans, countertops, or any place else in the kitchen?
- Is the home being maintained at a comfortable temperature?
- Has the individual gained or lost weight?
- Has general hygiene decreased?
- Can you notice any bruises, burns, or other injuries?
- Does the older individual seem to be having issues with balance or strength?
- Are all necessary medical aids being appropriately utilized and in good order, such as eyeglasses, dentures, hearing aids?
- Are there collection notices, bills that are unpaid, telephone messages from debt collectors?
- Do bank account statements include any questionable withdrawals?
- Is the senior going without any needed essentials?
- Is the older individual getting – and replying inappropriately to – solicitation calls or mailings?
- Are there any additional names listed on bank account statements that might point to potential fraud?
If these or any other warning signs are noted, a crucial starting point is to schedule an appointment with the senior’s physician to address any potential health conditions. Then, contact Atlanta Home Care Partners for help in resolving a variety of issues related to aging at home, including meal preparation, light household chores, transportation to medical appointments, pleasant companionship to lessen isolation and loneliness, and much more.
Serving communities in Cobb, Dekalb, Fulton and Gwinnett counties, it is the goal of Atlanta Home Care Partners to keep older adults safe, healthy, and thriving at home. Our care staff are fully screened, interviewed, and background checked to assure peace of mind for family members, and trained and experienced in a wide range of facets of senior care. Call us at (404) 228-0103 for a free in-home meeting to learn how we can best meet your aging parents’ individual needs.