Mom looks to be a tad bit confused lately. A while back, she mistakenly used salt rather than sugar in her legendary oatmeal cookie recipe. She called the cat by my sister’s name. And she misplaced her handbag, only to find it in the medicine cabinet. Is it possible she’s developing Alzheimer’s disease or some other type of dementia?
Though there are lots of other possible reasons behind dementia-like symptoms like these – medication side effects or depression, for example – these types of warning signs help doctors evaluate if dementia is the cause:
- Mental performance loss – determined by speaking with both the senior and those closest to her, together with cognitive screening.
- Changes in formerly mastered abilities – looking at abilities that were quite easily mastered in the past, but now cause troubles.
- Challenges with tasks of everyday life – assessed through concerns pointed out by relatives.
- Other physical conditions – studying underlying situations that may trigger delirium, which imitates dementia, such as infections, thyroid issues, electrolyte imbalances, and more.
- Mental history – an extensive overview of mental issues that can come into play, which can include depression or schizophrenia.
If your loved one has been diagnosed with dementia, contact Atlanta Home Care Partners. Our compassionate, knowledgeable dementia care Atlanta team is uniquely trained and certified as Alzheimer’s Whisperers®, meaning we’re specially equipped to help best manage the specific nuances of dementia with a patient, creative, individualized approach. Call us any time at 404-228-0103 to learn more about our dementia care Atlanta services.