“There is a dog in my closet! I hear it growling the entire night. We need to track down its owner!”
Hearing an older loved one voice worries like this that you are aware to be false is unsettling – but not abnormal. Your first impulse may very well be to attempt to rationalize with the person with a reply such as, “Nonsense! There is absolutely no way a dog could have gotten into your closet!” All the same, for several different reasons, this could be the least successful method to manage unreasonable thoughts and conduct in the senior population.
Instead, at Atlanta Home Care Partners, we suggest the following tactics that can help bring back a feeling of peacefulness and wellbeing:
- First off, arrange a check-up with the senior’s doctor. It’s crucial to identify any cognitive problems and to make certain she or he obtains appropriate treatment if necessary. There also could be prescription medication side effects taking place.
- Find out the thinking associated with the irrationality, and determine how to eliminate the matter. For instance, perhaps the heating vent near the closet is starting to become loose, or an air vent is blowing across a row of hangers and making an unusual sound.
- In place of trying to correct the individual, react lovingly with support and compassion. Focus on acknowledging the thoughts being expressed, as well as on having the person know that you will be there to help. Accompanying your loved one into a different area and providing enjoyable diversions, such as listening to music, baking, gardening, or browsing through photos together, can help you restore calm.
- One of the smartest ways to overcome any challenge is simply finding out what has helped others in a comparable situation. Think about becoming a member of an in-person or online community of family caregivers, allowing for the exchange of helpful recommendations and resources. A variety of choices are available, such as AgingCare.com’s caregiver forum.
- Seek out the support of a professional in-home care provider, such as Atlanta Home Care Partners. Our caregivers are skilled at assisting aging parents in remaining active and engaged, and in helping to relieve challenging and difficult behaviors. Partnering with a trusted caregiver also will provide you with much-needed respite to take a break from caregiving duties while confident your senior loved one is receiving high quality care.
For more recommendations on supporting your parent through challenges with aging, dementia or chronic illness, get in touch with the top providers of senior care in Brookhaven and the nearby areas, Atlanta Home Care Partners. We’re always available to answer any questions, share resources specific to the challenges you’re encountering, and to provide a free in-home consultation and development of a customized care plan to improve total wellbeing for a senior loved one. If you need caregiver help near Brookhaven, reach out to us any time at (404) 228-0103. For a full list of all of the communities where we provide care, please visit our Service Area page.