Has your mantra lately been, “If only there were a few more hours in the day?” If you are a member of the “sandwich generation” – taking care of your parents and your children at the same time – getting pulled in many directions is often an everyday occurrence, and can quickly become overwhelming. Atlanta Home Care Partners and our team in senior care in Atlanta invites you to take just a few minutes of your time to review these sanity-saving tips to reduce caregiver stress.
- Plan tasks strategically. Create a plan for ongoing duties to enhance efficiency. For instance, map out all of your required stops in the most organized manner, and combine projects such as laundry and grocery shopping for your elderly loved one with your own.
- Keep the car stocked with supplies. Stash a container of helpful items in the trunk to have easily accessible at all times: comfy walking footwear, a jacket or sweater, toiletries, snack food items with a long shelf life – anything you feel might be useful for the specific circumstances you may find yourself in on any given day.
- Don’t go to urgent care facilities if you can help it. Urgent care visits can lead to hours of time lost spent in the waiting room. You could try calling the doctor instead to obtain a same-day appointment, in particular mid-morning, when the day’s cancelled appointments have not yet been filled.
- Be sure to organize all paperwork. Keep all important paperwork bundled together in an easily identifiable folder. This will be essential in the case of an emergency. The folder should contain documents for health care proxy, power of attorney, medical insurance information, advance directive, a list of medications and emergency contacts.
- Try to stay positive. Enjoying a few quiet moments first thing in the morning to reflect on the important things you’re grateful for can go a considerable way towards reducing stress and setting the stage for a more productive and positive day. Repeat as time permits throughout the day, particularly when feelings are running high.
The most beneficial tip we can propose is partnering with a professional in-home care agency, like Atlanta Home Care Partners of the Atlanta metro area. We can assist in more ways than you may realize, including running errands, grocery shopping and meal preparation, light housekeeping, and more, in addition to hands-on personalized care and companionship. Contact us at (404) 228-0103 and rediscover a stress-free life for both yourself and your senior loved one with senior care in Atlanta!