Remember that feeling as a young child as soon as the school bell rang, signifying the end of grammar and the beginning of the best part of the day: recess? There was an immense sensation of freedom dashing out onto the playground, leaving behind the pressure of school work for a short period of unstructured play.
Regrettably, for most adults, this is nothing more than a happy but distant memory. Nevertheless is it feasible, and even worthwhile, to recapture the pleasure of playing? Experts like Dr. Stuart Brown, founder of the National Institute for Play, answer with a definite YES. As he points out, “Play is something done for its own sake. It’s voluntary, it’s pleasurable, it offers a sense of engagement, it takes you out of time. And the act itself is more important than the outcome.”
The key advantages of play, regardless of a person’s age, include:
• To connect: Especially in our smartphone-driven society today, making time to engage with others in person is vital to our social wellness – whether through sports activities, card groups, weekly board game competitions, or any other shared pastimes and interests.
• To sharpen your brain: While the jury is still out on the effectiveness of memory games in lowering the potential for developing Alzheimer’s disease, there is certainly benefit to be gained in improving thinking and problem-solving skills.
• To strengthen relationships: The everyday challenges inherent in most of our relationships are eased whenever a sense of playfulness is included, prompting stronger bonds and the capacity to better overcome difficulties once they arise.
Squeezing time out from an overloaded schedule to simply play can appear impossible. But with a little home care assistance from Atlanta Home Care Partners, a more enjoyable lifestyle can quickly become a real possibility. We’re available for as much or as little assistance as necessary, providing an array of services for seniors, such as:
• Planning and preparing meals
• Grocery shopping, picking up prescriptions, and any other errands
• Light housework and laundry
• Personal care assistance such as aiding with bathing and dressing
• Transportation and accompaniment to medical appointments and fun outings
• Companionship to engage in discussions, reminiscing, exercising, games, and pleasurable hobbies
• And so much more
Acquire a proper life balance by permitting Atlanta Home Care Partners to assist, while you take a breather. Call us any time at (404) 228-0103 to find out more!