Have you ever felt yourself preparing to bubble over with uncontrollable laughter at the most ill-timed moment– in a crowded elevator, a hushed waiting room, or a religious service? Although there are, obviously, occasions when we need to suppress the silliness, writer Jane Heller explains that, “Humor can keep us balanced, even in the grimmest of times. It reminds us that despite illness and disability, there are moments of real joy in life and we need to embrace them.”
The main benefits of laughter are phenomenal, including:
- Releasing endorphins that reduce anxiety,
- Strengthening brain connectivity,
- Providing a social boost,
- Reducing pain,
- Improving the immune system,
- Boosting mood,
- Preventing heart problems,
- Stimulating circulation and muscle relaxation, each of which minimize stress,
- And so many more.
Even though there’s absolutely nothing funny with regard to being given a difficult diagnosis for a family member, there are methods to retain an inherent sense of positivity that could contribute to more possibilities for beneficial laughter:
- Be intentional about adding bits of humor around your home/office, such as a favorite comic strip, meme, funny photographs, etc.
- Check into a laughter yoga class – yes, there really is such a thing!
- Adjust your reading material and TV viewing to feature more lightheartedness. Include joke books – or browse the internet for new jokes to add to your collection.
- Enjoy time with family and friends who raise your spirits. Reminisce over past memories together which make you laugh, and create new ones!
- Don’t forget to laugh at yourself, changing your internal dialogue from reprimands for mistakes to the relief in acknowledging we’re all human.
Surprisingly, even though you don’t feel like laughing, positive aspects can still be accomplished through faking or forcing laughter, according to certified health coach Nancy Kalish.
Atlanta Home Care Partners’ team of expert caregivers provides personal care in GA that brings happiness and laughter to seniors and respite to their families each day. Our friendly senior companions spend quality time with cherished loved ones, participating in conversations, games, puzzles, exercise, fun outings, and of course, an abundance of laughter. And with our full range of in-home care services, such as meal prep, household chores, and looking after personal care needs, family caregivers and the seniors they love are able to spend more high quality time simply taking pleasure in each other’s company. Let us help brighten up your world! Reach out to us at (404) 228-0103 any time to learn more and to schedule an in-home consultation.