Life, especially during the course of the pandemic, can be full of uncertainties. For older adults who are feeling less in control of certain areas of life, such as cognitive or physical functioning, concentrating on what can be controlled is empowering.
A great place to begin is by creating daily routines for seniors that are individualized to their particular interests and needs. Keep in mind the senior’s routine is not designed to be a rigid regimen to be adhered to, but merely the foundation for structure and predictability. With the older adult’s input and direction, determine a desired framework for every day. A sample daily routine may look like this:
- Wake up at 7 a.m.
- Manage personal hygiene needs and get dressed
- Enjoy breakfast in the sunroom while listening to their favorite music
- Go for a walk
- Tackle a puzzle or art project
- Pack a picnic lunch to take to the local park
- Run a few errands
- Take a brief nap or spend some quiet time reading
- Make dinner together and clean up afterwards
- Take a bath
- Watch a favorite show
- Go to sleep at 10:30 p.m.
- Routines lower stress and anxiety. Routines are calming and comforting, eliminating the need to wonder and worry about what is going to happen next, who will be there to help, and how to make sure that everything is going to be taken care of.
- Routines produce better sleep. Research has shown that sticking with a regular routine helps with sleep quality in addition to the ability to fall asleep and stay asleep.
- Routines allow for quality time with loved ones. Seniors and people who care for them can establish routines that incorporate enjoyable time together, such as favorite pastimes, weekly lunch dates at a favorite restaurant, even an end-of-the-day hug.
Atlanta Home Care Partners’ care team is skilled at creating customized care plans and daily routines for seniors who need home care assistance in Atlanta and the surrounding areas. We can help make every day the very best it can be for seniors and the ones who love them through many home support services, such as:
- Morning wake-up services, including personal care and preparing a nutritious breakfast
- Friendly companionship throughout the day and evening – whenever needed
- Light housekeeping and laundry
- Shopping and other errands
- Medication reminders
- Transportation and accompaniment to outings, visits with family and friends, medical appointments, etc.
- And many others, based on each individual’s specific needs