Even though we might imagine a Norman Rockwell-worthy Thanksgiving get-together, with the whole family enjoying high-quality time together and Grandma’s traditional dishes, the actuality for a number of families may include something unforeseen: a trip to the hospital. The fact is, statistics indicate that emergency room visits for seniors increase an astounding 10% – 20% during the holidays.
While pinpointing the actual reasoning behind this increase is difficult, it seems logical that one component could be family members who haven’t spent time with an older relative during the months before the holidays, simply to learn then that his/her condition has deteriorated.
Dr. Tamara Kuittinen of Lenox Hill Hospital explains, “It’s an issue of out of sight, out of mind for many people. If you haven’t seen your mom in 6 months, you may not be fully aware of the aging process and her health in general.”
- Record important contact information for the senior’s medical doctor and other specialists. Include all medications prescribed by each doctor and any drug allergies or other issues. Speaking to the correct physician for assistance about your worries is an excellent first step over an emergency room visit, unless the senior is having a genuine emergency.
- Talk with your loved one about assigning a health care proxy, who could serve as a voice for making health choices in the event that the older adult is unable to do so. Ensure a living will is also set up.
- Check in with the older adult routinely all year long. For families who live far away, it could be important to enlist the help of your loved one’s neighbors or good friends to see the senior on a regular basis and to keep you updated with any changes they notice.
An expert in-home care agency, like Atlanta Home Care Partners, may be the perfect year-round resolution to make sure seniors stay healthy and well, and that any alterations in condition are addressed immediately – ensuring the holiday season remains as festive and pleasurable as it should be. Just some of the various ways we can help include:
- Planning and cooking nutritious, appetizing meals, in compliance with any dietary limitations
- Providing accompanied transport to medical appointments and procedures, fitness programs, and fun outings
- Examining the home for fall risks and recommending modifications to ensure safety
- Helping with safe and secure ambulation and transfers
- Personal care such as bathing, showering, and using the restroom
- And so much more, based upon each person’s unique needs
Give us a call at (404) 228-0103 to request a complimentary in-home assessment to find out how we can help increase overall wellbeing for your senior loved one. You can also fill out our online contact form to get in touch with our team of caregivers and learn more about how we provide top rated senior care Atlanta families trust the most.